Prioritization/STIP Projects

Strategic Transportation Investments Prioritization Process

The Strategic Transportation Investments (STI), also know as Prioritization is how North Carolina prioritizes and funds transportation projects, for all modes, to ensure they provide the maximum benefit for our state. This formula enables NCDOT to use existing revenues more efficiently to improve transportation infrastructure as well as create jobs to boost the economy. The formula was developed because the state gas tax, highway use tax, and DMV fees can no longer provide enough funding to build all of the transportation improvements needed to attract new industries, reduce congestion, and connect citizens to new opportunities in North Carolina.

This formula is data-driven and requires local input from NCDOT Division 5, as well as the Kerr-Tar RPO. All transportation projects are broken down into three (3) categories: Statewide, Regional, and Division.

  • Statewide Projects receive 40% of the available revenue over 10 years. The project selection process is 100% data-driven or based on facts such as benefit/cost, congestion, economic competitiveness, and safety. Additional input is not accepted from NCDOT Division 5 or the Kerr-Tar RPO in the ranking of Statewide projects.
  • Regional Projects receive 30% of the available revenue based on the regional population. Kerr-Tar RPO projects in Region K compete with projects in NCDOT Division 5. The process is 70% data-driven with rankings from the Kerr-Tar RPO and NCDOT Division 5 making up the remaining 30%.
  • Division Projects receive 30% of the available revenue, which is shared equally between the 14 NCDOT Divisions. The process is 50% data- driven with rankings from the Kerr-Tar RPO and NCDOT Division 5making up the remaining 50%.

Prioritization 7.0

P7.0, the seventh round of Prioritization, began in the fall of 2022, you can view the most recent schedule of P7.0 activities HERE.

Access the DRAFT Kerr-Tar RPO P7.0 Local Input Methodology HERE.

NCDOT 2024-2033 Current STIP (Adopted by NCDOT BOT June 6, 2023)

Regional Plans & Projects:

Comprehensive Transportation Plans: