Apply to be a part of the Kerr-Tar Regional Food Council!
About the Kerr-Tar Regional Food Council
Within the five county Kerr-Tar Region (Franklin, Granville, Person, Vance, and Warren), we have the ability to feed our population healthy food from our own local farms, thereby helping to address many of our region’s pressing economic, food security, and health needs. In 2019 the Kerr-Tar Regional Food Policy was enacted with the intention to provide a strategy for growing a sustainable regional food system, encompassing sustainable food production, processing, distribution, marketing, consumption, and waste management.
A key milestone outlined in the food policy is the establishment of a Kerr-Tar Regional Food Council with the purpose of guiding its implementation in the community. We are looking for the transformative leaders who are interested in addressing the shared regional challenges and opportunities in our food system.
Food Council Member Responsibilities
1. Work to implement the priorities outlined in the region’s food policy and identify potential areas for food system investment.
2. Guide the regional food assessment process and establish goals for its findings. Devise plans of action based on gaps identified in the region’s food system.
3. Facilitate greater communication and collaboration among food systems stakeholders across the region.
4. Represent the Kerr-Tar Regional Food Council externally and educate regional audiences about food systems opportunities and needs in the region.
5. Periodically make recommendations for revision to the Regional Food Policy.
6. Develop collaborative solutions to community problems and be open to diverse ideas and opinions.
1. Committed to improving the Kerr-Tar regional food system
2. Live or work in the Kerr-Tar region (Franklin, Granville, Person, Vance, Warren)
3. Represent 1) a food system sector (examples: production, processing, distribution, consumption, waste management, and food assistance); 2) a relevant partner organization or agency (examples: government agencies, non-profit organizations, health, or educational organizations); or 3) the demographic diversity of the region.
Regional Food Policy Conference, VGCC, June 4, 2019
Regional Food Policy Press Release
Regional Food Policy Invitation
Daily Dispatch Article, June 14, 2019
Final Food Policy
As adopted by Kerr-Tar Council of Governments Board on September 24, 2020